Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Good Day at the Ex!

Yesterday was the first day of our local rural fair, rather grandly called the Annapolis Valley Exhibition or the 'Ex'. It is considerably smaller than the 'Ex' I grew up going to, the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto, but it is also much more relaxing to attend. This year the kids and I decided we were going to enter some of the cooking and crafting events and last night we went to see how we did. To our surprise almost everything we entered got a ribbon of some kind. My son entered the Junior Cooking 'Drop Cookie' category and he won 1st place. My Daughter had 3 entries and her entry for the Junior 'Bead Work' category came in 2nd, her Junior 'Rubber Stamping' entry got a Special Mention and her Junior Cooking 'White cake' didn't place.

I had 6 entries in and my results were:

Christmas in August - Rubber Stamping - Card - 1st place
Paper Crafts - Rubber Stamping - Greeting Card - 2nd place
Photography - Nature, Wildlife only - Special Mention
Photography - Miscellaneous Photo - 2nd place
Cooking - Quick Breads - Any fruit or vegetable muffin - 3rd place
Cooking - Flax Flour - Cookies or Squares - 2nd place

For our first time entering, I was really surprised at how well we did and I'm sure after their success this year my son and daughter are going to be even more enthusiastic about entering next year.

Here are my cards.

And my 2nd place photo.

3 comments:

Amber said...

hehehe-Merrilee the kids told me that they did well, but they forgot to mention that Mom did too! That's great!
~Amber

pam said...

okay Merrilee ... you DO SO colour !!! Wow !! Way more patience than I have. Great job !!
Love your photo !

Sherry Sapsford said...

I love the Christmas in August card! Where did you find the stamp (it looks a lot like my home)?